Water, landscape and sustainable tourism
Water is a vital resource now and in the future. Water is a cultural and natural element present in all societies and landscapes assuming different characteristics in the fields of tangible and intangible heritage. It is a major presence in all territories and a relevant component of the economy. It is characterized by the diversity of human action assuring people and places their own identity. Forgot in towns that do not plan the water in the territory. This research envisages answering to the following main question: how to develop an integrated approach of water, tourism and cultural landscape aiming to protect water as an essential resource for the present and for the future generations? This project is multidisciplinary and collaborative research. It includes a concerted process in the field of water, cultural and natural landscapes. This project concerns about a reflexive society, cultural heritage, identity, and sharing values.
The main goals of the project are:
- to create an international debate on natural and cultural heritage issues related with water landscape, its protection and preservation, especially in towns with water influence;
- To demostrate the differences between the laws of each country in relation to that resource;
- to identify the tangible and intangible heritage around water landscapes;
- to communicate the heritage of water landscapes as a way to protect this essential resource for life;
- to safeguard water landscapes as an important factor of tourism: the places of identity;
- To involve all city actors in the main propose of knowing, communicating and protecting water and its culture.
Isabel Vaz de Freitas (IR)
Fabrício Brito Silva